Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Real Player 10.5 dumps icon on desktop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Real Player 10.5 dumps icon on desktop Reply with quote

I thought I would post here, not in Spyware & Malware Removal, because its not too annoying. I am just confused and curious to what it is.

So, my mom said last weekend that RealPlayer was updating and updating and that she pulled the plug (power cord) to make it stop. She said boxes asking something popped up. And at one point when my mom wanted to read her E-Mail and switched to her profile, I got this warning from my firewall: RealPlayer has changed from since it was last used. It had message.real.com as it adress. When I clicked allow, it dumped a Free Games & Music on the Desktop of her profile- same that I got earlier. The link in Properties is this: http://switchboard.real.com/player/desktop.html?cd=free. So I would like you to check that if it contains anything bad. I have gotten suspicious after I got infected with Viewpoint and have read so much on this forum.
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real has been associated with some questionable practises in the past, but as I understand it they had cleaned up their act.
That icon is a link to some affiliate program they are involved with. Delete it, and as long as you didn't actually go there you should be OK.

I went to that link, and with all my protection the page only loaded part way, with the rest of the data missing, so I would assume that it is potentially not good.
JRosenfeld
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily stop its auto update feature. Open real player, tools, preferences, automatic processes, autoupdate, clear the box
'automatically download and install.... Then you can, if you wish, periodically use the check for updates now button and xselect only those uopdates you want, which avoids those annoying affiliate ones. I also disabled the message center 'feature'.

I switch off autoupdate features on pretty well all apps that let me. I like to update when it suits me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: