Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

56K data transfering monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpyWarrior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: 56K data transfering monitor Reply with quote

Greeting fellow. Anyone here on Dial-up? Is it normal to have data transfered let's say 1k?? as in "sent" when you check the internet status?

What I mean is:

------------------------------------

Activity

sent: received
bytes 1,000, 350
compression 14% 3%
Error 0 1

Is there any software that allows me to see what data is being sent out and in?
Obeahman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the link below.....

Code:
http://www.pcplus.co.uk/downloads/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=7729&subsectionid=365&subsubsectionid=7

Is this what you are referring to?

Obeah

SpyWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank! I love you man.

Now I can find out whose the big brother is.
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only guessing as your vanacular was unclear but I think what you want is a good netstat tool. Your firewall should offer you netstat...most do...does yours not do that?

If netstat is what you need and you aren't actually looking to examine each packet (sniffing), I would suggest my fav netstat tool; http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml It maps process to port and allows the user control over termination of the process or the connection. HTH

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
SpyWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank! I love you too!

Well what I want to know is where the data is sending to and what "kind" of data is sending. I wasn't aware that i'm receiving lots of byte (but sending is less) until I downloaded nettraffic.
Moore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well what I want to know is where the data is sending to and what "kind" of data is sending

Are you talking about the packets being sent / recieved each time you connect to a website , or while you computer is idle its sending and recieving packets on it's own.?

Normally [ when you arent infected Evil or Very Mad ] , you are likely to have regular connections with your ISP DNS servers which resolve IP addresses into domain names so you can connect to websites etc...

If you have DHCP [ dynamic host configuration protocol ] enabled which will assign an IP address to you during your online sesssion , add that to the possible connections you will be seeing...

You'll most likely see many ICMP connections from your ISP [ and others] checking your online status , and there are many kinds of worms and viruses that scan the internet like that msblast virus you were infected with, not to mention trojans / bots scanning for new victims.. Twisted Evil

You may have also netbios file and printer sharing enabled over TCP/IP , which should be disabled in your network connection properties , otherwise it opens your computer wide up to all kinds of people who like to scan for these types of unprotected systems..

Quote:
Is there any software that allows me to see what data is being sent out and in?

You should think about investing in a free firewall such as Outpost , Kerio , sygate or zonealarm , which are all fairly decent free firewalls to begin with Spywarrior..

Then you will find you have a lot more control over the inbound and outbound connections and protocols you want to allow and block , instead of relying on the windows firewall for its limited protection.

For more info on firewalls etc , try my firewall guide link that I posted in your LED thread :
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=8688
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: