Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Connection Speed Vs Transfer Rate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill H H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Connection Speed Vs Transfer Rate Reply with quote

Hya Friends Very Happy

This is not really a Spyware or Security problem, like many people, I run Spybot/AVG/Zonealarm/Adaware etc and only ever hear of other peoples problems.

However, how do these unwanted bytes get to me? Through my connection right? So here goes...

My modem is 56K and XP reports connection speed as 33.6 Kbps yet my average download transfer rate is 3KB/s.

Hmmm... Are Kbps and KB/s the same thing? If so, then why the 10x slowdown? Is this speed decimation normal? What other [or limiting] factors are involved? RAM type/speed?

Would a 333MHz as opposed to a 3.4GHz processor make any difference in the above scenario?

Any answers or links to informative articles appreciated.

Bill.
paperghost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the number that comes with the modem (so to speak) is just telling you the maximum speed it could potentially go at. in reality, its highly unlikely you would ever hit that maximum speed due to hitting a network with other traffic on it, bottlenecks, the way your system is configured / your hardware etc.
Bill H H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Connection Speed Vs Transfer Rate Reply with quote

Hya

Thanks Paperghost for you informative reply, your ideas are taken on-board. However, I need a little more info on the seven questions I have posed.

Bill.
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how do these unwanted bytes get to me?

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here. Unwanted bytes could as benign as your server pinging your connection to see if it is still 'live', or it could be unwanted sneaky apps installing themselves.

Upload and Download speeds are dictated partly by your Modem, and partly by your ISP.
For example, my ISP restricts my Upload speed to about 10% of the Download speed, because they need to restrict bandwidth usage and prevent the average user from running a WebServer from local machines on a Home-User connection.

The other thing to consider is how fast is the WebServer you are downloading from? If that Server is on a Pll 266Mhz box, running through a Dial-up connection, then you'd see a serious bottleneck to begin with, and worse still if multiple users were trying to download the same info at the same time.

Quote:
Would a 333MHz as opposed to a 3.4GHz processor make any difference in the above scenario?

Machine speed is different from Server Speed. I have seen old Pll 266 boxes receive webpages faster than many XP Athlon 2600's, dependant entirely on what the machine's Running Processes are. Machine Processor Speed is more a matter of how your machine 'handes' the information thrown at it. Web pages are pretty basic, for the most part, and can be handled easily, even by the really early units. My old MacLC2 will churn through HTML pages quite happily.
However, most Programs and virtually every game will run at a slower speed on a slower processor, unless we're talking about Pong or Asteroids.

There's literally thousands, if not millions of web pages out there which can give extremely detailed information about Bits and Bytes, how they are handled and transferred and what differences there are between Processor Speeds etc.

Hope this helps a little
Bill H H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Connection Speed Vs Transfer Rate Reply with quote

Thank you 3162 Site admin for sharing that information, that clears up a few things.

Cheers Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Talk About It All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: