Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

You're Doing Good Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlowell
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: You're Doing Good Work Reply with quote

Just a quick drop in to express my appreciation for the good work you're doing here. It has all the marks of the better Linux internet communities and much of the same spirit.

By way of introduction, I run a four machine network here, one box a webserver for my business's site. My enthusiasms run to Linux as all of the workstations run Gentoo, Debian and Windows 2000 Pro; the webserver runs Gentoo. I built all but one of my machines, and all, except for the one I didn't build (although I upgraded it), are of fairly recent vintage, PIIIs or better.

Given my Linux proclivities, my interest in the efficacy of the various anti-spyware programs only comes about so as to ensure the safety of the Windows activity that I continue to maintain here both for my business and for certain financial activities. Until recently, I've used Adaware as my main line of defense, but with an upgrade of Norton Systemworks 2001 forced on me with a ferocity all too typical of the Symantec brownshirts - their color really ought to be brown, not yellow/orange - I'm in the process of something of a security review. Thanks to information at this site, I was able to glean why it was that I could no longer operate Adaware in its earlier iteration and upgraded to AdawareSE. On one partition I'm now looking at SS&D, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard, each for a different reason. I hope to settle on a program or a combination of programs at an early time. Suggestions are welcome.

In any event, greetings and best wishes to the anti-spyware community. I appreciate having benefit of your experience.

jlowell
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved your introduction into a Forum where you might receive more abundant replies
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlowell,

Welcome to SpywareWarrior and thanks for the kind words. Very Happy I hope you find our site helpful.

Some other utilities you might look into for Windows systems are IE-SPYAD which puts several thousand dangerous domans/URLs in the restricted zone.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm#IESPYAD

There are Hosts Files people use to block dangerous sites also.
I can't locate the link at the moment.

Anti-spyware firewall block lists noted here:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=3741

This thread has a lot of resources:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=2961

And perhaps even more important - don't forget your Windows updates.
jlowell
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suzi!

Thanks for your welcome and for the fine list of urls. There's been much learned over the last 48 hours or so as a consequence of my visits here.

I note a marked reduction in spyware since the installation of Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard. I'd also included SS&D to augment Adaware which I've had in place for about 18 months and have activated SS&D's immunization feature. One url you provided took me to what I'd have to consider a very top-notch presentation of the differences between Spyblaster and Spyware Guard. In the accompanying thread, comment was made about the similarity between SS&D's TeaTimer feature and SpyGuard. I've made cruft reduction as much of an objective as security over the years and hesitate to pile memory-eating application after memory-eating application onto this thing as a matter of principle. At one point or other, performance suffers. I'd appreciate any comments you may wish to make about the TeaTimer/SpyGuard overlap and it's impact on performance.

jlowell
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:

There are Hosts Files people use to block dangerous sites also.
I can't locate the link at the moment.

A very informative thread on HOSTS File Protection is here.

Also, welcome to Spyware Warrior, jlowell! Very Happy

- from the film "Stardust Memories"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: