Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Another rogue anti-spyware program maybe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemesis6
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Another rogue anti-spyware program maybe? Reply with quote

http://www.download.com/Spy-Cleaner-Gold/3000-8022_4-10331039.html?tag=lst-2-5

It's called Spy-Cleaner Gold 9.2. Does anyone have any experience with this program?
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis6:

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at it.

Best,

Eric L. Howes
Nemesis6
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one... Instead of posting a new thread, I thought I'd just post it here -

http://www.download.com/AGuardDog-Adware-Spyware-Remover/3000-2144_4-10333081.html?tag=lst-2-14

Full name - AGuardDog Adware Spyware Remover 1.0
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis6:

Thanks for the link to the AGuardDog program. It's been added to the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware page, which takes us to 115 listed applications:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

The SpyCleaner Gold turns out to be just a slightly updated version of the SpyCleaner that was already listed.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

Last edited by eburger68 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are really getting hard up for names for these apps. Rolling Eyes
Scaramouche
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
They are really getting hard up for names for these apps. :roll:

Maybe that's what will finally stop the conflation of bogus anti-spyware apps, they can't get something punchy enough as a name because the domain is already being squatted by the CWS gang or it's a registered tradename held by Mr. Mladen Bajic. Maybe they'll be so busy fighting each other they won't have time to release questionable software.
Nemesis6
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, imagine when the companies make more money on sueing each other than the extortion programs they produce! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I have worked on developing AGuardDog and I fiund weird to say that this is a fake programm. The program is developed and updated weekly. We did not include any false positive. I am interested in how did you classified this program as fake?
Nemesis6
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crisflor, and welcome to the site!

While you might not have intentionally included any false-positive results, your database might be riddled with them. Where did you obtain your spyware database/referance?
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have worked on developing AGuardDog and I fiund weird to say that this is a fake programm. The program is developed and updated weekly. We did not include any false positive. I am interested in how did you classified this program as fake?

OK, where does it say the app is a fake?

Nothing of that nature is stated either in this thread or on Erics Rogue list.

And false positves are normal thing to have within any app, even the best apps can't avoid them, tho, the better apps, will indeed have much fewer than most.

I'm sure Eric will be along to give you the exact specifics of the f\ps he encountered. And the ensuing comments, will, as usual, be very interesting.

Ultimate Countermeasures Page
Calendar Of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
crisflor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting for his reply and the problems he found. Still to add the application in this category without test it properlly I think is extreme unprofessional from your side.

What is the purpose of this list then to undeline how good is prodcut X and Y. Then the scope will be to find problems in all the other software? Am I missing something or is like this?

Anyway I am extreme curious about the reply with the problems.
TeMerc
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sole purpose of this list of apps and subsequent testing is merely to provide people with a clear and detailed account of how the app presents itself to users. Eric simply reports what he finds, in fact, with screenshots and much other info.

It is up to each individual to decide from his results if they wish to buy, or use the app in question.

There is no other reason for this list.

Eric is not affiliated with any of the apps on that list, in any way, shape, manner or form. He receives nothing in any type of compensation for his work, aside from the thanks of the internet community for his dedication, and of course lots of attention from the creators of the apps where he finds questionable practices, be they in the form of datbase duplication or exessiive f\ps, marketing practices and so forth.

Thats what makes ensuing comments entertaining, as some of the reps, try to justify some of the things he finds.

Ultimate Countermeasures Page
Calendar Of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
eburger68
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crisflor:

The reasons for AGuardDog's listing on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware page are clearly listed on the page itself ( see http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm ):

Quote:
false positives work as goad to purchase; inadequate information about app & company; no privacy policy

In other words, you haven't taken even the basic steps to provide information about the application, your company, or your privacy practices. That failure alone is enough to qualify the application for the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware page, which defines "rogue/suspect" at the top of the page:

Quote:
"Rogue/Suspect" means that these products are of unknown, questionable, or dubious value as anti-spyware protection.

Some of the products listed on this page simply do not provide proven, reliable anti-spyware protection. Others may use unfair, deceptive, high pressure sales tactics and false positives to scare up sales from gullible, confused users. A very few of these products are either associated with known distributors of spyware/adware or have been known to install spyware/adware themselves. Users are advised to rely on anti-spyware applications with deserved reputations for trustworthy performance.

But the problems go beyond the lack of information. The scan that I performed with AGuardDog turned up a number of false positives. See this page for a screenshots of the scan results screen:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/orphans_outcasts.htm

First, AGuardDog flagged two innocent Microsoft files as SaveNow:

C:\WINNT\system32richtx32.ocx
C:\WINNT\system32vbar332.dll

Second, the program flagged a file that DOES NOT EXIST on my computer as TheLocalSearch:

D:\Utils\apmuninstal.exe

Now, there is a file at the following location:

D:\Utils\apm\uninstal.exe

...but that is an uninstaller for a DiamondCS task manipulating program (DiamondCS being one of the more respected anti-trojan vendors around).

Finally, AGuardDog flagged the following Registry key as Alexa:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\moduleusage

...without specifying which particular sub-key it regarded as part of Alexa.

In sum, AGuardDog exhibited a number of serious problems in the test that I ran on my system. Combined with the lack of information about the company and the product, I cannot recommend that users purchase this application given the fact that there are other, more established anti-spyware applications with proven track records and deserved reputations for trustworthy performance.

Regards,

Eric L. Howes
Nemesis6
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one - http://www.download.com/SpyCleaner/3000-8022_4-10331152.html

SpyCleaner. Not SpyClean, SpyCleaner. Note that the Publisher is TopDownloads, which is also the publisher of" Free Spyware Scanner 8.3"

How about that?

Here's the list of all the products sponsered/published by them at download.com - http://www.google.com/search?as_q=TopDownloads&num=10&hl=da&btnG=Google-s%C3%B8gning&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=download.com[/url]
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis6:

That SpyCleaner is the same SpyCleaner as you found earlier. It's already listed on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware page.

Best,

Eric L. Howes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: