Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Privacy Tools 2004
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At the end of the day as soon as my beta version is finished I will continue to sell my software and will do so knowing that I am doing nothing wrong. Nothing illegal, nothing dishonest.

May I have a free Beta Test?
Nick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:
I am taking the advise of my legal guy and I am not going to be taking this any further.

At the end of the day as soon as my beta version is finished I will continue to sell my software and will do so knowing that I am doing nothing wrong. Nothing illegal, nothing dishonest.

Been fun speaking to you all Wink

I've heard you say you were leaving before:

Quote:
Stated you are leaving the discussion multiple times only to continue it.

I wonder if you will this time?
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:
I am taking the advise of my legal guy and I am not going to be taking this any further.

Good riddance. I am sure that you will feel more at home back underneath the slimy rock that you obviously crawled out from.

- from the film "Stardust Memories"
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing a bit more looking at these ADS variants.

Ashley, before you leave, could you tell me just a portion of the nasties that your tool can PROPERLY remove? Just a short list would help as I'm having a very hard time finding them.

I'm getting to the opinion that perhaps the entire anti-malware community should probably have a look at this.

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
know_bee_ess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] I see you say it would be interesting to see 'someone' create a site and you dont actually want to take that risk yourself.[/quote]

A related suggestion for you, Ash1ey. As you seem quite dissatisfied with your reception here, perhaps you'd be willing to add a support forum or commented blog, or both, to YOUR website. It can't be too difficult for a man of your means, and the tremendous volume of positive feedback you're certain to enjoy would be priceless for your public relations.

Mr. Green
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:

And to be honest i'm even thinking of having some programmers write me some spyware. Yep, actual spyware to infect ppls machines. Why? Cus you all suck. I'm trying to work with you but you couldnt give a sh1t. So why try and work with the anti-spyware community when there only against you? You guys are against me so much that i'm going to start distributing spyware myself, its not hard. UNDETECTABLE stuff too Wink To be honest theres probably more money in this then the actual spyware removal.

There's even more money in it (you having your programmers write "undetectable" spyware) for the UK Government.

The Computer Misuse Act, 1990

Since you have publicly announced your intent to "start distributing spyware myself" perhaps you should get a legal opinion on this activity while you are pursuing frivolous legal action against anyone here at Spyware Warrior.

Honorary Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Letterman:
Well found!
Excellent!

Now, if the Brits had won the war of Independence, perhaps things would be somewhat different

We 'do' have a way with words, after all Wink
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:
Harry Letterman wrote:
It would be interesting to see someone create a web page with the name along the lines of "PrivacyTools2004-is-scumware" to counter his threats of infecting as many innocent eople as he can pathetically manage.

Please go ahead and try it. I see you say it would be interesting to see 'someone' create a site and you dont actually want to take that risk yourself. Also, I never did say I would distribute spyware with my spyware removal tool.

The difference between myself and you, sir, is that I am not stupid enough to make this type of statement in a Public Forum:

ash1ey wrote:
And to be honest i'm even thinking of having some programmers write me some spyware. Yep, actual spyware to infect ppls machines. Why? Cus you all suck. I'm trying to work with you but you couldnt give a sh1t. So why try and work with the anti-spyware community when there only against you? You guys are against me so much that i'm going to start distributing spyware myself, its not hard. UNDETECTABLE stuff too To be honest theres probably more money in this then the actual spyware removal.

katz78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see at download.com, the comment by 'sv', that said:

'I have been trying it since last 203 days and it has beejn totally amazing'

I didn't see this listed on BetaNews.com. Where was it for 203 days?

This was posted on download.com on July 20,2004. I didn't see it on snapfiles.com, or on majorgeeks.com. It is in tucows.com.

Such 'glowing reviews' and only one negative post? Hmmm.

Methinks those rave reviews were written by one person.

Ashley says, "As i explained in my post, I have stopped selling the software and instead of re-directing my traffic to an another application i would direct it all to your forum until my new software is ready to sell. Doesnt appear to be appreciated so i'll get it changed a.s.a.p "

Thats funny, because it's still available for download and to really mess peoples computers up.

I have the snapshot on my desktop of the file download. (Run, Save, Cancel). Yes I've got XP.

If you click on the program Author, you get this page.

http://www2.palsol.com

He (or whoever wrote this up) says on that page:

It is very likely your computer is infected with Spyware that normal Antivirus programs cannot detect.

Oh yeah? Well if adawareSE, spybot s&d, spyware blaster, spywareguard, spysweeper, hijackthis,and cwshredder can't take care of any spyware problems I would have, I WOULD have a REAL problem.

What are you my mom now? I see no bad behaviour here.

Only by you, Ashley.

Your parents are so proud of you? What is this language then?

'stfu, and WTF'.

You sure say WTF an awful lot. I don't imagine your parents are proud of your language?

Oh I am glad you removed that tracking cookie you had on your site Ashley. Good job. Now you're getting the hang of it. I scanned with adawareSE BEFORE i went to your page, and then scanned after. The ole' tracking cookie trick popped up.

Well my friend Symantec are in it in for the money and dam they have a few good apps

They don't show FP's in their software. Their apps are tried and true.

And to be honest i'm even thinking of having some programmers write me some spyware. Yep, actual spyware to infect ppls machines. Why? Cus you all suck.... You guys are against me so much that i'm going to start distributing spyware myself, its not hard. UNDETECTABLE stuff too

Again, you said your parents are proud of you? Bet they don't know all about this, right?

And YES if I still get treated like your enemy in all this then YES I will look at distributing some spyware (and then you can really call me your enemy and then you wont have to give me a chance

You think you really have a chance on infecting peoples computers who read these forums, and fight every day to keep this crap off their machines, and people who are infected.? These people know something is wrong, and come to forums like this for help.
Then you come along, with an app that shows FPs. If someone was naive or (dumb) enough to delete everything that you suggested, they could really mess their registry up. Only a full reinstall would help.

For example, I have adawareSE, Spybot S & D, spywareblaster,spywareguard,Hijackthis, and CWShredder on my comp. I also use SpySweeper. I keep my AV and all my other software up to date.
Personally, you really wouldn't have a chance to infect me. I watch what I download, Just because I'm not that tech savvy,(I'm learning), doesn't make me naive.

HAHAHAHA. Man you just cant read can you? Yes I am fully aware of my future actions and what i am doing with this venture, but if you were able to read properly you will understand that my software wont get sold until it stops producing F/P's

Ok, so why then is it listed in download.com, and tucows.com?

The longer spywarewarrior and its member continue to make false claims against me and my software the more I will pay my legal guy to find something for me to prosecute you and bring you guys down.

False claims? You're the one with false claims now. Your legal guy,? Who is it? Bruce Cutler? LOL

Stated you will deliberately add spyware to your program
Quote:
And to be honest i'm even thinking of having some programmers write me some spyware. Yep, actual spyware to infect ppls machines. Why? Cus you all suck.... You guys are against me so much that i'm going to start distributing spyware myself, its not hard. UNDETECTABLE stuff too

You threaten the posters in this forum with legal action, when it should be us filing a class action lawsuit against you.

And these attys in this so called 'case', when they find out the details and check this forum out, they'll either laugh you out of their office(or off the phone, whatever) or tell you that you're crazy.

You put this software out there for the 'unsuspecting public'. Are you willing to pay to fix their computers also? Put your money where your mouth is Ashley.

I'm a newbie to this forum. Does that mean I'm going to get sued too? Funny, that's never happened to me before. Somehow I have the feeling it won't be happening now either. Sorry Ashley, to break your bubble. Like we say here in the states, it's time for you to pack up your tent and go home.

Bye.
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:
Also, I never did say I would distribute spyware with my spyware removal tool.

So, who cares. You still wrote the following:

ash1ey wrote:
And to be honest i'm even thinking of having some programmers write me some spyware. Yep, actual spyware to infect ppls machines. Why? Cus you all suck. I'm trying to work with you but you couldnt give a sh1t. So why try and work with the anti-spyware community when there only against you? You guys are against me so much that i'm going to start distributing spyware myself, its not hard. UNDETECTABLE stuff too To be honest theres probably more money in this then the actual spyware removal.

Just because your "undetectable spyware" may not be bundled with your spyware removal tool you are already publicly admitting, as CEO of a company, your intent to direct your employers, or subcontractors, to create and distribute spyware with the intent of maliciously infecting innocent user's systems. You will still be held legally responsible. Ask your lawyers about this while you're at it.

Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:
As long as my money making ways continue to be legal, i'll continue to do them. Including the distribution of spyware for the means of selling advertising Wink

You should consult your much vaunted Lawyers about "distribution of spyware for the means of selling advertising" as that would seem to be a clear violation of The Computer Misuse Act, 1990.

I wonder how much jail time you should expect to serve when you decide to implement your Vomit Business Plan Nasty and direct your employees to create and distribute spyware with the intent of maliciously infecting innocent user's systems.

Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:

When i install 'spyware' or 'adware' on ppls comps i will ensure they know whats happening by placing it in the EULA of the software.

This is not legal. You say that "i will ensure they know whats happening [when you criminally install malicious spyware] by placing it in the EULA of the software." Problem is, the UK's Computer Misuse Act, 1990 (CMA) cleary states:

"...Reference to the offences under the Act should be included in your Acceptable Use Policy, preferably phrased in language which is easy to understand, and giving examples rather than using legalistic jargon. Your Acceptable Use Policy should be discussed with each user, rather than just handed out, so that people understand why it is important to follow the guidelines. The Acceptable Use activity will help to get all parties involved in the development of your policy."

Quote:
You know, most of the world used to deal with folks like you by putting you in prison. Whatever happened to that concept?
ash1ey wrote:
That concept didnt ever exist. What do you mean folks like me? Someone trying to make a living? Never heard of anyone being jailed for someone trying to make a living Very Happy

It depends on whether your "making a living" involves breaking the law.

ash1ey wrote:
I know i have nothing to worry about.

It seems abundantly apparent to me that you do not know that you should be worried about breaking the law by distributing spyware.

Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As usual, I will sit and read chuckling as you continue to try and justify yourself and your apps. Its always good to see dishonets people exposed.

ash1ey wrote:
When i have i been dishonest u fool? Answer me that question?

A definition of "dishonest" from Dictionary.com:

adj 1: deceptive or fraudulent; disposed to cheat or defraud or deceive [syn: dishonorable] [ant: honest] 2: lacking honesty and oblivious to what is honorable [syn: unscrupulous] 3: lacking truthfulness; "a dishonest answer" 4: capable of being corrupted; "corruptible judges"; "dishonest politicians"; "a purchasable senator"; "a venal police officer" [syn: corruptible, bribable, purchasable, venal]

You were dishonest on Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:31 am when you wrote:

ash1ey wrote:

Satisfied?

ash1ey
Banned for violating forum policy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I answer Nicks question. I didnt actually say I was going to leave, I just said the discussion was coming to an end. If people continue to ask me questions I will repond. It seems you all need entertaining as you have nothing better to do.

I think the sad people on this board need a lesson in learning how to read.

Quote:
I am sure that you will feel more at home back underneath the slimy rock that you obviously crawled out from.

You people are really sad, all I can do at this is laugh. I can give as much abuse as i can take so dont worry you sad little man.

Quote:
Ashley, before you leave, could you tell me just a portion of the nasties that your tool can PROPERLY remove? Just a short list would help as I'm having a very hard time finding them.

Back to being nice are we Mikey? Well I cant at the minute because my database is encoded and I'm waiting for someone to finish removing the F/P's. If I remember to when its done I'll post and let you know.

Quote:
As you seem quite dissatisfied with your reception here, perhaps you'd be willing to add a support forum or commented blog, or both, to YOUR website. It can't be too difficult for a man of your means, and the tremendous volume of positive feedback you're certain to enjoy would be priceless for your public relations.

Great Idea thanks Smile

Quote:
Since you have publicly announced your intent to "start distributing spyware myself" perhaps you should get a legal opinion on this activity while you are pursuing frivolous legal action against anyone here at Spyware Warrior.

Read the posts properly old man. I clearly stated I'm not going to waste my time or money taking the legal action any further.

Quote:
The difference between myself and you, sir, is that I am not stupid enough to make this type of statement in a Public Forum

Hmmm... So your saying that you distribute spyware you just dont openly admit it?

katz78, your posts is just too long for me to bother reading all that sh1t. I will say though that if you had bothered to research my software properly you would have noticed something on my order page. Sure you can download it from download.com but you cant buy it so stfu. Also, you say in your post will I pay for damage made to ppls computers? What damage? Show me the damage and i'll pay.

Quote:
You should consult your much vaunted Lawyers about "distribution of spyware for the means of selling advertising" as that would seem to be a clear violation of The Computer Misuse Act, 1990.

I wonder how much jail time you should expect to serve when you decide to implement your Business Plan and direct your employees to create and distribute spyware with the intent of maliciously infecting innocent user's systems.

You think I cant pay legal people to write my EULA and make a work around for this? Try thinking before posting. At the end of the day it wont be hard to pay someone to run my business from another country to ensure I dont get stung by any laws in this country. I have plenty of money and I will ensure I spend enough on making sure nothing is being done illegally.

Quote:

How is telling the truth dishonest? I was completely honest with you all in the fact I may consider distributing spyware Laughing

Harry, as i said to some of the other members of this forum. GET A LIFE. You may think I am sad in what I do but the feeling is mutual Laughing

O yeah, somebody mentioned about my bad language. I have my freedom of speach to stfu Laughing

ADMIN, AT THE END OF THE DAY IT SEEMS THIS POST IS GOING TO TURN IN TO A SLANG MATCH. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT BEFORE IT TURNS NASTY.
Jester700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:

ADMIN, AT THE END OF THE DAY IT SEEMS THIS POST IS GOING TO TURN IN TO A SLANG MATCH. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT BEFORE IT TURNS NASTY.

Very good idea. Just 2 cents from a forum noob, but how 'bout an IP ban? I know who's IP I'd go for... Wink
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't speak for the admin here, I seriously doubt there will be any 'book burning' here.

As someone who has been censored and censured on numerous occasions because my opinion wasn't liked, I can tell you flat out that it is NEVER in the public's interest.

As long as no sec or personal threats exist and no obscenities exist, why talk wanton censorship? Sorry, but for me this issue is even bigger than the viral agent of topic here.

-
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:
Quote:

Back to being nice are we Mikey? Well I cant at the minute because my database is encoded and I'm waiting for someone to finish removing the F/P's. If I remember to when its done I'll post and let you know.

Yep, I kinda thought that would stump you.

Here's another question; What kind of bot killer has no backups, no routines to handle LSPs, and no routines to handle objects held in use?

-
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Ashley, are you aware that it is impossible for simple text signatures to ever touch a morph. I notice that some of the F/Ps claim to be known morphs.

-
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing from where I left off with some more questions;

Why don't I see any routines for either reg value analysis or any type of checksum analysis.

Would you also mind describing the forensics and criteria you or your people use in determining and defining a target?

Can you explain why the ADS updater just reloads the same bogus definitions file every time you check?

-
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Letterman wrote:

ash1ey wrote:
Read the posts properly old man. I clearly stated I'm not going to waste my time or money taking the legal action any further.

On Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:49 am you wrote:

"Yesterday I took the first step towards taking action against the posts in this forum. I have contacted an attorney in the US to represent me."

On Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:30 am you wrote:

"Sorry but i will not be answering your questions until I have spoken to my attorney."

On Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:57 pm you wrote:

"I am taking the advise of my legal guy and I am not going to be taking this any further."

I can find no instance of you "clearly stating" that you "not going to waste my time or money taking the legal action any further." As you are so find of saying, little man, read the post(s).

Harry Letterman wrote:
The difference between myself and you, sir, is that I am not stupid enough to make this type of statement in a Public Forum

ash1ey wrote:
Hmmm... So your saying that you distribute spyware you just dont openly admit it?

Ever heard of an inference? By making this statement you are tactically inferring that I would "distribute spyware" and I "don't openly admit it." Find me a factual example where I said that I would ever distribute spyware and then we can have a discussion. Having some difficulty? That's because I never said any such nonsense. You, on the other hand, have clearly stated that "i'm going to start distributing spyware myself" and I can prove it.

Harry Letterman wrote:

I wonder how much jail time you should expect to serve when you decide to implement your Business Plan and direct your employees to create and distribute spyware with the intent of maliciously infecting innocent user's systems.

ash1ey wrote:
You think I cant pay legal people to write my EULA and make a work around for this? Try thinking before posting. At the end of the day it wont be hard to pay someone to run my business from another country to ensure I dont get stung by any laws in this country. I have plenty of money and I will ensure I spend enough on making sure nothing is being done illegally.

Why even bother to "pay legal people" to "make a 'work around''" for this? You will still be violating the spirit and intent of the CMA. Your stating "it wont be hard to pay someone to run my business from another country to ensure I dont get stung by any laws in this country." just proves what a filthy little weasel you really are. Enjoy spending your money.

Harry Letterman wrote:

ash1ey wrote:
How is telling the truth dishonest? I was completely honest with you all in the fact I may consider distributing spyware Laughing

See how Ashley selectively edits his quotes to avoid facing this fact:

ash1ey wrote:

ash1ey wrote:
Harry, as i said to some of the other members of this forum. GET A LIFE. You may think I am sad in what I do but the feeling is mutual Laughing

I have a life that is honourable, ethical, objective and rational. Can you say the same? Didn't think so.

ash1ey wrote:
O yeah, somebody mentioned about my bad language. I have my freedom of speach to stfu Laughing

Your interpretation of "freedom of speach [sic]" does not apply to this board. When you registered I am positive that you agreed to Terms and Conditions that prohibited vulgar, profane, or abusive language. You seem to be in violation of that agreement. Can Nick or Suzi comment on this?

suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your interpretation of "freedom of speach [sic]" does not apply to this board. When you registered I am positive that you agreed to Terms and Conditions that prohibited vulgar, profane, or abusive language. You seem to be in violation of that agreement. Can Nick or Suzi comment on this?

From the registration agreement and Terms and Conditions:

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws.

Harry is correct to a degree, however I rarely edit posts here, and as Mikey said,
Quote:
As someone who has been censored and censured on numerous occasions because my opinion wasn't liked, I can tell you flat out that it is NEVER in the public's interest.

As long as no sec or personal threats exist and no obscenities exist, why talk wanton censorship? Sorry, but for me this issue is even bigger than the viral agent of topic here.

I think Ash1ey's posts here speak volumes about his character and I don't plan to edit them.
ash1ey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a life that is honourable, ethical, objective and rational. Can you say the same? Didn't think so.

Yes I can say the same thanks for asking grandad. I mean in all this Harry you dont really know sh1t. I can give as good as i can take.

At the end of the day I'm not going to keep answering your questions here as this discussion has gone on far to long. I've enjoyed being entertained by you lot and its interesting to see the sad little world you all live in.

I know you've all been dying to know, but my software is back on sale. Of the many machines i tested on there was no F/P's

IF YOU TEST THE SOFTWARE OR HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SOFTWARE PLEASE EMAIL ME. IF YOU KEEP EMAILING ME STUPID QUESTIONS (i.e not related to the software) I'M GONNA ADD SOMETHING TO MY EULA THAT WILL STATE:

By using this software you agree that you are not the owner of, affiliated with, or a member of spywarewarrior.com Smile

You will also notice on my site that I clearly state:

All images on this site are copyrighted. If you wish to use an image of our software including screenshots you must first gain permission from the owner.

As nobody on this site has asked for permission to use images of my software SUZI WILL YOU PLEASE REMOVE THEM.
ash1ey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and one more thing about ADS as I forgot to mention.

I do not own the ADS Adware Remover. Do a little research and you will find that out for yourself.
ash1ey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IF YOU TEST THE SOFTWARE OR HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SOFTWARE PLEASE EMAIL ME. IF YOU KEEP EMAILING ME STUPID QUESTIONS (i.e not related to the software) I'M GONNA ADD SOMETHING TO MY EULA THAT WILL STATE:

By using this software you agree that you are not the owner of, affiliated with, or a member of spywarewarrior.com

Please ignore this comment about 'IF YOU TEST THE SOFTWARE etc..'

Anyone from this board thinking about using my software should clearly read the EULA first.
eburger68
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All:

The Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware pages have been updated to reflect the new release of Privacy Tools 2004. The entry for Privacy Tools 2004 now reads:

Quote:
vendor threatens to distribute malware (1, 2, 3); vendor attempts to silence critics (1); unconscionable license terms (1, 2); false positives work as goad to purchase (1, 2); previous version was same app as 2004 Adware/Spyware Remover & Blocker, ADS Adware Remover, AdwareSpy, AdWare SpyWare Blocker & Removal, AdwareX Eliminator, SpyBeware, & The Web Shield; previous version was Ad-aware knockoff

Moreover, there is now a note on the main page as well as the family resemblances page (see http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#pt2004_note ) that reads:

Quote:
Note on Privacy Tools 2004: On August 27, 2004 a new version of Privacy Tools 2004 was released. Included in the license for this new version are three clauses that prevent me from reporting on the performance of this new version of Privacy Tools 2004 or displaying images of it:

------------EULA QUOTE------------
3. COPYRIGHT.
All title and copyrights in and to the software product (including but not limited to any
images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, and "applets" incorporated into
the software product), the accompanying printed materials, and any copies of the software
product are owned by the Author of this Software. The software product is protected by
copyright laws and international treaty provisions. Therefore, you must treat the software
product like any other copyrighted material except that you may install the software product
on a single computer provided you keep the original solely for backup or archival purposes.

[...]

12. By using this software you agree not to take or use screenshots of the software and
understand doing so will result in legal action being taken against you. You understand
Screenshots are copyrighted protected material of the software owner.

[...]

13. By using this software you agree that you are not the owner of, affiliated with, or a
member of spywarewarrior.com
------------END EULA QUOTE------------

The last version that I tested (a beta version) still generated horrendous, inexcusable false positives just like its predecessor (1). Whether the final release also does so I cannot say, as I have been unable to test the software.

Clearly the vendor for Privacy Tools 2004 wants to shut up critics and prevent critical information about his software from being disseminated. Moreover, the vendor for Privacy Tools 2004 has threatened to distribute malware himself (1), making him a completely irresponsible source for anti-spyware protection. Thus, my recommendation to users is to stay away, as the software and the vendor cannot be considered trustworthy or reliable in my opinion.

As neither I nor Suzi have agreed to the terms of this new license, the clauses on screenshots are inoperable with respect to screenshots of previous versions of Privacy Tools 2004, which were not covered by this new license. The family resemblances page does note that images of the new version of Privacy Tools 2004 have been censored by the vendor.

If you have any questions about the changes made to the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware pages, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Eric L. Howes
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley, just so you know, I will continue to review your product as well as any other product that I am qualified to test/benchmark and if you wish to contest my right to do so, feel free to do so. I will maintain my findings on a domain owned by me and unaffiliated to SW.

I've been advised that as long as I tell the truth, I have no concerns.

Speaking of reviews, why don't we just put the issue of whether PT is an ADS variant to rest? In addition to the fingerprinting of individual components that I'm preparing, I also have the simple comparison snapshots of the installs. I believe that the snapshots alone proove without doubt that PrivacyTools2004 is virtually the exact same tool as ADS Adware Remover.

Privacy Tools 2004 install; http://www.voiceofthepublic.com/reports/RPT_0098.HTM

ADS Adware Remover install; http://www.voiceofthepublic.com/reports/RPT_0100.HTM

BTW ANYONE can duplicate my findings and I'm aware that several already have. Smile

-
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric stated:
Quote:
As neither I nor Suzi have agreed to the terms of this new license, the clauses on screenshots are inoperable with respect to screenshots of previous versions of Privacy Tools 2004, which were not covered by this new license. The family resemblances page does note that images of the new version of Privacy Tools 2004 have been censored by the vendor.

That is correct. I have not agreed to the terms of the new license. The screenshots will remain in place unchanged.
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:

Yes I can say the same thanks for asking grandad. I mean in all this Harry you dont really know sh1t. I can give as good as i can take.

I'm curious, Ashley: What makes you refer to me as "old man" & "granddad"? Were you abused by an elderly relative or school headmaster? Hold a grudge, do you?

ash1ey wrote:
At the end of the day I'm not going to keep answering your questions here

This reminds me of the classic "bait and switch" scam where they promise you one thing and deliver another, inferior product. Like PT 2004. Ashley keeps promising to shut up and stop answering questions at SW but he continually comes back for more.

ash1ey wrote:
By using this software you agree that you are not the owner of, affiliated with, or a member of spywarewarrior.com Smile

So, even if you do manage to have one of your programmers develop a decent spyware scanner (highly unlikely) you will hold a permanent grudge against any and all members of Spyware Warrior? That's awfully petty - oh, but then again the EULA has been approved by you. But Ashley: We have money to throw at you! You can fatten your wallet some more. Pleeaase honour us by graciously consenting us permission to use your product! We'll even give you a 25 % bonus for the privilege.

Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:
Quote:

By using this software you agree that you are not the owner of, affiliated with, or a member of spywarewarrior.com

Anyone from this board thinking about using my software should clearly read the EULA first.

How's about we just ignore you and your worthless, ripoff, money-grubbing s/w entirely?

know_bee_ess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a SW member, wouldn't Ash1ey violate his own EULA if he were naf enough to run any program it covers? Sure, you'd have to be an absolute dunderhead to install anything he sells, but he's secured that distinction already.

Quote:
Quote:

As you seem quite dissatisfied with your reception here, perhaps you'd be willing to add a support forum or commented blog, or both, to YOUR website. It can't be too difficult for a man of your means, and the tremendous volume of positive feedback you're certain to enjoy would be priceless for your public relations.

Great Idea thanks

I can't wait for his forum to open. This thread will be my first post. Not holding my breath, though.
Blue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I saw the language he uses over here,i thought,not very professional.If someone is questioning your software,it wouldn't be a good idea to come over and start this "stfu,WTF",and some more of the immature language.How are you going to convince people like,that,and how will they take you seriously

?Also,I agree,not a good idea to post threats of distributing spyware on a public forum if you're going to get the law involved,even if it is sarcasm.Something that I doubt.I doubt these people here can take you seriously and trust you if you act like this.
Eldar
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Well, it seems that Download.com changed their mind.
My previous review was added, as well as a lot of others which had been removed. Very Happy
See http://www.download.com/3302-8022_4-10303104.html
ash1ey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, if you want to test me, go right ahead. Why do you think Eric is not testing the latest version? Because he is smart and he knows its not worth the hassle. The license clearly states 'members of spywarewarrior.com' which includes you.

Eric, dont take it personally I wont let you test the software. People in this forum have only bad things to say about me, whats the point in even bothering let them look at the software?

You people can keep writing bad reviews at download.com i can soon fix that with $70.

Blue, your right, i did take it a bit far with my language. But with ppl here keep saying i am a scam and i mean to rip people off it just made me real Mad Mad - I always treat ppl how they treat me, business or not.
eburger68
SWW Distinguished Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley:

You wrote:

ash1ey wrote:
Why do you think Eric is not testing the latest version? Because he is smart and he knows its not worth the hassle.

Actually, I figured that if you were so clearly determined to make an ass of yourself in public and destroy the reputation of yourself, your firm, and your software, who was I to stand in the way?

Eric L. Howes
TeMerc
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley, you have inspired me with your amazing flair for shooting ones self in the foot. So much so inspired I am, that I will be posting links to this thread in every forum I come across, so many others will see the dimwitted approach you take in purportedly trying to make a decnet anti-spy app.

I will, of course include some of the more thoughtful and introspective comments you have made, regarding the inclincation to include spyware in your product, among many of the other soon-to famous quotes.

You sir, are on the verge of becoming more famous than Walt Rines. At least he has the half a brain to shut his mouth.

Ultimate Countermeasures Page
Calendar Of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
MadameX
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eburger68 wrote:

Actually, I figured that if you were so clearly determined to make an ass of yourself in public and destroy the reputation of yourself, your firm, and your software, who was I to stand in the way?

Eric L. Howes

Laughing Laughing Super Big Thumb Up

Good one, Eric!
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
The first time I saw the language he uses over here,i thought,not very professional.If someone is questioning your software,it wouldn't be a good idea to come over and start this "stfu,WTF",and some more of the immature language.How are you going to convince people like,that,and how will they take you seriously

I still feel that PT 2004 would have had a much better reception here if Ashley had delegated the posting to a senior developer/programmer. As it is, he has become too impassioned and obsessed with defending both himself and his company. Not that that's a bad thing but if he had delegated then the senior dev. & he could talk things over before posting here at SW and they could have responded rationally & objectively, thus protecting the co.'s reputation.

Blue wrote:
?Also,I agree,not a good idea to post threats of distributing spyware on a public forum if you're going to get the law involved,even if it is sarcasm.Something that I doubt.I doubt these people here can take you seriously and trust you if you act like this.

This is exactly the reason that Ashley has decided to not pursue legal action. He realises that he has legally shot himself in the foot with that statement and ANY lawyer/barrister would not take his case for any amount of money. Why would they want to risk their reputation by mounting a futile legal defense for this imbeci*, er, person?

GlobalForce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ash1ey,

Somewhere, I sensed the need to drop into this merely, as an observer. IMHO (and not that anyone asked), all this coal on the fire has generated a very ugly thread. I have no knowledge of your software, but if the claims earlier in this thread are true, I hope you could understand posters getting their shots at you. Keep in mind, it is not my intention to follow suit.

Please take these words on good will, as they are meant.

Before you become too driven by the negative responses, with promise of revenge, think for a moment. If your original proposition is to deliver a quality life effort that will benefit users of the web, stay focused. The only good that can come from all this is to channel it towards your goal. You have nothing to prove to any of these people, nor do you need to publicly defend yourself.

If as you have stated (I will not draw upon quotes), your firm is in the process of working fp's out, and a more experienced programming team is in the works, then it will only be a matter of time for you. If you have an underlying theme to scam the unsuspecting public, and benefit from their pitfalls, you should be prepared to stand and face the music.

There's a lot of talk about self-esteem these days. It seems pretty basic to me. If you want to feel proud of yourself, you've got to do things you can be proud of.
Feelings follow actions!

GlobalForce
Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash1ey wrote:
Harry, if you want to test me, go right ahead. Why do you think Eric is not testing the latest version? Because he is smart and he knows its not worth the hassle. The license clearly states 'members of spywarewarrior.com' which includes you.

I have absolutely no intention of testing either you or your product(s). On Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:40 am you wrote:

ash1ey wrote:

Yet 21 minutes later, on Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:01 am, you "corrected" yourself & your previous statement by writing:

ash1ey wrote:

You are a walking, talking, and breathing Contradiction, my friend. So, are Spyware Warrior members allowed to d/l & test your spy, er, software?

ash1ey wrote:
You people can keep writing bad reviews at download.com i can soon fix that with $70.

PT 2004 already has 33 % Negative reviews at Download.com. I imagine that that figure will grow exponentially in the weeks to come... Exactly how much are you worth then, Ashley?

Harry Letterman
Warrior Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GF,

Nice post. Very eloquent & rational. Very un-ash1ey. The only thing I would disagree with is this:

GlobalForce wrote:
You have nothing to prove to any of these people, nor do you need to publicly defend yourself.

Ashley has publicly threatened the members of this board, and the public at-large, with his plans to distribute malicious & illegal spyware. I firmly believe that he should publicly defend himself here which is, of course, impossible in the context of this forum site.

Nice to meet you and welcome to Spyware Warrior! Smile

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: