Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

i need help with the "Security"-settings in IE9

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olmedoicaza2002

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: i need help with the "Security"-settings in IE9 Reply with quote

Back in May 2008 i was advised to do this (see the copy-paste below) by a malware-expert/helper/whatever-you-call-it here in the Spyware-Warrior forums, and i did [do] it.

<<<**beginning of copy-paste**>>>

Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:

From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.

Click once on the Security tab

Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.

Click once on the Custom Level button.

Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt

Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable

Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable

Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt

Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt

Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt

When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.

If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.

Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

<<<**end of copy-paste**>>>

i recently bought a laptop that has Windows 7 Pro on it. i have not changed any settings on IE9. i have just installed the programs recommended to me by the malware-expert who helped me out before:

latest version of AVG Free Edition
Comodo Firewall
Spybot Search and Destroy version 1.62 (a review by PC-Magazine states that the most recent "2.##" version sucks in removing malware and in other [key] areas)
latest version of Malwarebytes Antimalware Free Edition
latest version of Adobe Flash for IE and Firefox
latest version of JAVA Runtime-Environment
SpywareBlaster
WinPatrol

and it (the new laptop) has Internet Explorer 9. do these steps (the ones i copy-pasted) also apply for Internet Explorer 9?

(the computer i had [and was using] at the time the malware-expert gave me these steps has Windows XP Pro and Internet Explorer 8 in it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gary R

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version of Internet Explorer is IE10, and I would recommend you install that.

Opinions vary on how best to secure IE, personally I don't recommend changing individual settings on IE unless you have a specific need to do so, it can cause problems for some people dependant on how they use their browser, and what they use it for.

I'd just select the level of security you need using the slider in ... Tools > Internet options > Security ... whilst there I'd also recommend that you ensure that Enable protected mode is checked.

I personally would also not recommend the use of Spbot S&D, and Spyware Blaster, which are both fairly dated now, and not particularly effective.

If you're accessing the Internet from behind a router (as most people do these days), it's also probably not necessary to use a 3rd party firewall either. The combination of your router's hardware firewall, and the inbuilt software firewall built into Windows 7, is usually adequate protection for most people's use.

I've written a short article on computer security that you may find useful .... http://malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=557960#p557960

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
olmedoicaza2002

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary R wrote:
The latest version of Internet Explorer is IE10, and I would recommend you install that.

Opinions vary on how best to secure IE, personally I don't recommend changing individual settings on IE unless you have a specific need to do so, it can cause problems for some people dependant on how they use their browser, and what they use it for.

I'd just select the level of security you need using the slider in ... Tools > Internet options > Security ... whilst there I'd also recommend that you ensure that Enable protected mode is checked.

I personally would also not recommend the use of Spbot S&D, and Spyware Blaster, which are both fairly dated now, and not particularly effective.

If you're accessing the Internet from behind a router (as most people do these days), it's also probably not necessary to use a 3rd party firewall either. The combination of your router's hardware firewall, and the inbuilt software firewall built into Windows 7, is usually adequate protection for most people's use.

I've written a short article on computer security that you may find useful .... http://malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=557960#p557960
thanks for the information, tips, and advice Smile . i'll also definitely check out the article Smile . thanks again Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gary R

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Very Happy

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: