Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Thoughts and opinions on F-Secure software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Thoughts and opinions on F-Secure software Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been checking out anti-virus tools and F-Secure seems to be quite well-regarded. I found this in another post:

F-Secure 2004 version 4.71.5 - 98.77% [effective]

So that's reassuring. I use and recommend Avast, but I'm looking at F-Secure for some research. How does it measure up to other anti-virus tools?

Thanks.
Brandon O

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current F-Secure 2005 uses KAV engine so it has good detection rates, but it is a 'heavy program' on system resources.

Regards,

Brandon

Member of the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals since 2006
Sacha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comment from another forum pretty much says what I was going to say:

"Maybe I'm just ignorant...but I didn't realize that F-Secure and Kaspersky had such a close relationship. F-Secure OEM's technology from Kaspersky (if you install F-Secure Anti-Virus 2005 you'll see that they use Kaspersky definitions...just open the AVC files). Also, they're apparently working on an engine together.

Interesting stuff. I was wondering how the frack F-Secure all of a sudden was hangin with the big boys (Sophos, Kaspersky, etc.). "
herbalist
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the windows version of F-secure but I do use f-Prot for DOS, their command line scanner. At times, it detected pests that nothing else found. For cleaning out DOS based systems, it's the first tool I use. On older systems, it's also excellent as a second AV and integrates well into download managers, IM programs, etc.
Both the windows version and the command line scanner use the same signature files so they should find the same pests. I don't know of too many people who are using the windows version, but the ones that are say they like it.
Rick
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hologram5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WORK FOR A COMPANY THAT SUBCONTRACTS DATA TECH SUPPORT FOR VERIZON WIRELESS AND THAT IS WHAT THE IT DEPT USES. I DON'T HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE WITH THIS APP. CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF IT IS GOOD OR NOT? THANKS IN ADVANCE.
CYBERCYNIC
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbalist:

F-Prot is a product of Frisk Software International, which is not related to F-Secure AFAIK.

LDH
CYBERCYNIC
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update to my previous post, F-Secure uses multiple scanning engines, 2 of which are AVP and F-Prot, licensed from their respective manufacturers.

The Windows version of F-Prot works quite well, has a light footprint without a lot of bells and whistles.

LDH
Sacha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain the difference between F-Secure and F-Prot? I gather they're not the same company, but F-Secure uses F-Prot software (?).

Sacha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: