Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Need some direction on how to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike.s

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Need some direction on how to? Reply with quote

Hello,
Everyone.I hope im in the right area,but anyway i would like to have my own website that is sort of similar to this ,but the only diffrenence is, is that its an outdoors forum.The concept would be just like this one were forum memebers would help out people who are new to the outdoors and need advice from the more experienced members on learning how fish,hunt,ect.The only draw back is that i no nothing about creating my own website.I no what i want it to looklike,and most of the details about the website,but again i have no clue on how to do this.

I did some google searching in hopes of finding some awnsers on which i found some,but its like building a house without knowing how to build one.I clicked on the phpbb at the bottom of the home forum of spywarewarrior and did some reading on the wbsites they offer.I picked out a style that i like and i have downloaded the program,but im clueless on how to start.To end my long story,i was wondering if anyone could guide me on the exact way to approach this,and how to get it up and running?

I thank-you very much for all the help that is given. Wink
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike.s,

Starting up a new website and forum is fun! It was quite an adventure for me and a great learning experience.

The first thing you have to do it get web space somewhere. The options are your ISP probably provides some free webspace, usually 5 MB or 10 MB if you are lucky. That wouldn't be enough for a forum though, but it might be worthwhile to play around with and get some experience.

Second option is free webhosting like Yahoo Geocities, MSN Communities - but neither of those can use phpBB either. The MSN communities have a lot of good features that might meet your needs. Here's an example Wawadave's, one of our great forum members here.

http://groups.msn.com/wawadave

And TeMerc's, one of our great admins:

http://groups.msn.com/TeMercInternetSecuritySite

They are free, if you don't mind a few ads. There are a lot of options including the ability to have photo albums, which might be nice for your project.

The other option is to register your own domain name and have paid webhosting, which is what I have. (I started out with my first website on a free host about 3 years ago though.)

Domain name registration is as low as $8 or $9 dollars a year, and up, depending on what domain name registrar you use. www.godaddy.com is one of the less expensive ones.

Then there's the challenge of finding the right hosting company. I had 2 previous to the current one, and both were not good companies. Hosting plans can vary greatly in cost depending on what you get. To have a phpBB forum, which uses a fair amound of bandwidth, you need a good hosting company that includes mySQL databases and php. Some hosting companies provide phpBB in their package, which makes it very easy to install and set up. Setting up from scratch is somewhat complex unless you are expereinced already.

To read about hosting companies and plans a good site is

http://webhostingtalk.com/

That's where I found my current company, which has an excellent reputation. You have to be careful because there are some companies that are rip-offs.

So, if you want to have a site running phpBB, you would have to be prepared to spend some money. phpBB itself is free, but the domain name registration and hosting are not free. It can be a bit overwhelming to start from scratch if you are inexperienced.

I'd encourage you to really look at the MSN communiites because it's free, you can have a nice forum there, you can have photo albums, it's pretty easy to set up (from what I gather).

If you want to have your own site and domain, I'd encourage you do some reading before jumping in. You also would need a FTP client to upload the files to a webspace. There are several good free FTP clients and they are easy to use.

I have some webmaster links saved somewhere in my favorites, and if you want to pursue your own domain and hosting, I can find them and post them here.

Hope that helps. Very Happy
mike.s

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you suzi for that excellent advice Thumb Up All the info i can get would be excellent in helping me with my venture,and the more i learn the more it would be better in my case.Ive been wanting to do this for some time now,but my lack of knowledge in that field keeps my hands tied. d'oh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: