Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Security TaskManager anther scam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Security TaskManager anther scam? Reply with quote

Security TaskManager is this yet anther scam a yas????
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/taskmanager.html
Installing Vista http://tinyurl.com/2l9qyd
bch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on this list https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/soft6.htm
wawadave
Warrior Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the info. seems a lot of other people have used this and not liked it. Sad
Installing Vista http://tinyurl.com/2l9qyd
bch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello wawadave,

I've been giving it a try. The one thing I like about it is that when you first get the programme you can assess each process and give it a rating from "dangerous" to "harmless".

I went through all mine and gave them "harmless" ratings which resulted in a green tick against each one. The handy aspect of this is that, on opening the programme again, anything that doesn't have a green tick would quickly stand out. The full version will also list the running services.

(I also like the fact that the programme comes in a zip folder and runs from it's own file, so nothing is actually installed on the computer).

Having said all that, I think it is overpriced for what you get. Many utility and security programmes will show your running processes etc and, of course, there is always Task Manager itself. I like the "green tick" aspect but that's about it.
paperghost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green tick thing sounds slightly worrying because of the very fact that its possible to tick everything off - assuming that the end user knows what everything on board is doing is a very bad idea. Plus, this approach may be okay for a fresh install but what if the pc in question already has something malicious on board?

Their website is quite interesting in that they allow end users to add comments on mysterious processes - though I do agree that most task manager programs are a bit of a waste of money, unless they have some other extra features that make them stand out from the crowd.
bch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paperghost,

Let me clarify about the green ticks. When you fist open the programme, it gives it's own ratings for the various processes between harmless and dangerous. Some of the processes it knows about, some it does not. You are not obliged to say that everything currently running is harmless but, in my case, I know every process running on the computer so was able to class everything as harmless and give it the green tick.
paperghost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fair enough - but giving a theoretical user the choice of rating a process - any process - that they don't know anything about is still a dicey move. What would this user do in the event of a randomly named malware process on their system, for example? 9 times out of 10 they'd probably just think "nothing to see here!" and tick it off...
bch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I totally agree that if the user cannot identify a process, he, or she, should not simply tick it off. There is an option to right click the process and "google" it. However, if you are familiar with the processes, and know what you are doing, (famous last words), then the green ticks do have their merits. Anything without a green tick will immediately be apparent.

In practice, I'm not going to be opening the programme every five minutes to see if a process isn't ticked, so in that respect the programme has limited benefits.

I have a little app on here called CoolMon 1.0 which shows the number of processes running on my computer. I have it in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, near the systemtray, and it is "always on top". It has a translucent background so doesn't interfere with anything. You can have it showing all sorts of stuff, cpu usage, free ram etc but I simply have it showing the number of processes. On start up, for example, it should read 30. If it read 31, that would immediately alert me to the fact that something else had started up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: