Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Bulletproofsoft no longer a rogue and now legit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericsummers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Bulletproofsoft no longer a rogue and now legit Reply with quote

Bulletproofsoft has recently taken baby steps to clear their name. The company's spyware remover has been revamped with new definitions (no more mass readings of FP's). The scanner is also now FREE and no longer requires a $29.99 purchase just to remove the results, which was the case for quite some time. The scanner also no longer uses definitions belonging to products created by other companies.

It does mean that all of the clone sites like spywarecops.com and spystriker.com who carry the BPS spyware remover now allow free download, free scans and free removal. Again, no more false positives and no more scams forcing people to pay to remove results. Everything is 100% free, like most respectable products (a group Bulletproofsoft plans to join).

Any clone sites that still exist for the BPS Spyware Remover that do ask for payment happen to be a very small number of sites that frankly we forgot about licensing and those carry an older version of the scanner.

The company has also recently produced a CCleaner style product called Clean N Optimize which is totally free and is designed to do cleaning of the registry, "crap" and other files. Someday we hope for it to gain a measure of the respect already afforded to CCleaner.

Bulletproofsoft has been a rogue for a lot of years and now the company is prepared to do any and all backbreaking work to finally establish a good name among users after all these years. Many apologies for the downright rotten business practices these past several years, involving Spybot, AdAware, countless other companies and a lot of internet users.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, the product no longer attempts to remove legitimate programs (i.e. competitors) which was also an unfortunate business practice that has finally been corrected.

The only negative talking point I am still aware of, based on the long list that was worked on, is the changing of basic internet settings but that is more geared towards the existence of system shields and it allows them to fully function for malware and other virus blocking.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a representative of Bulletproofsoft?
ericsummers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
Are you a representative of Bulletproofsoft?

No, for the benefit of a friend I just volunteered to share the info with some of the forums in the community that the company is now on the up and up.

I don't work on the products but everything I've said above is true. I tested like 20 domains associated with the company before coming here, otherwise I wouldn't have registered to report it.

Obviously since their products are in the database of numerous malware and spyware scanners, it is a matter worth getting the word out about because if the product is indeed legitimate nowadays, people have to find out somehow. The preference here is to start small by word of mouth instead of a more public announcement.

You or one of the other Admins can visit their main page and see for yourself. Spyware Remover isn't $29.99 anymore, it has definitions that are current, they have a handful of new products on the web (some of which are 100% free), a rewritten agreement in the download, etc.

Obviously if you notice some of the same problems as before, the software is easy enough to remove. Everybody and their brother knows how to get it off their computer if it is really still corrupt.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm not employed by the company, though I offered to do the heavy lifting on a couple of forums and review sites, obviously I'd ask you to appreciate my position of not being accountable.

It sounds contradictory, yes, as I agreed to do the "word of mouth" about the company no longer using their old business tactics meaning I am signing off in a way.

But again, I did try some 20 domains and 30-35 downloads tied into the company and save for 2 downloads/domains, ALL of them (as of the new fall 2010 definitions) have corrected a long list of criticisms that have been known for years about the BPS/Bulletproofsoft products, including forcing people to pay money, false positives, stolen databases and all sorts of other issues.

Having heard all the stories about their past, I wasn't eager to make all those downloads and test all these things but I did it.

Since I'm not involved in the anti-spyware, AV, anti-malware community, I haven't got the technical know-how to dig a little deeper but I suppose that is what you're experts are here for, right?

The point to get across is that if the company has indeed cleaned up their act, their products deserve a fair trial not for the purpose of making up for what happened in the past but to properly and accurately place them in today's market, as they are today.
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the new version of BPS Spyware-Adware Remover.

I received an error message when installing. After install an update program ran to download the spyware definitions. I selected the option to check for and download these. However, even thouse tese downloaded without and problems, the main BPS program will not launch - I just get error messages.

While my expectations were very low, I did want to try it.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger_m wrote:

I received an error message when installing. After install an update program ran to download the spyware definitions. I selected the option to check for and download these. However, even thouse tese downloaded without and problems, the main BPS program will not launch - I just get error messages.

That's good of you to give it a try.

I don't expect anybody here to believe me, being a new member with no ties to anybody including BPS, but I installed around 30 downloads of theirs, one after the other, and had no problem getting any of them onto my PC and updated, save for a few of the older versions of their remover that are mostly on links the company admits they forgot about owning (despite most likely still paying bills for the domain).

The info I got is that the products are compatible with OS's up to Windows 7. I'm using my junk computer with Windows XP and a whopping 256mb ram, which is the computer I use to test any downloads to screen for awhile before putting on my primary PC.

Fact is, I know "somebody" and owed them a favor. So when the time came for that favor to be repaid, I kind of sort of got an email in my inbox to "check this company's software" and a long list of pages to visit along with the things I was looking for (or not looking for, depending).

Would a fresh reboot and a second attempt be too much to venture?
ericsummers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger_m wrote:

An email reply I got.

"If the BPS Spyware download isn't working, the user can download the newest version of the same scanner under Skins. For best possible performance and version, use the Spyware Cops skin, as all skins are intended to be cleaned up to fully correspond with the latest version of the scanner. At this point in time, Spyware Cops is the only additional skin fully confirmed to be online with the latest revision."
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger_m wrote:

BPS, thats a blast from the past. I can't remember the last time I heard someone mention that name.

Roger, are you using Vista or W7? My experience was similar. I couldn't ever get it to run. Can't test routines and definitions if it wont run.

I was going to use, among other things, InCtrl5 to monitor changes durring install and first run. However, since I couldn't get it to run, All I managed to monitor was the install and uninstall. While all the changes aren't attributed to BPS, I think all will agree that the uninstall routine fails to adequately remove a large number of items left over from the BPS instalation fiasco. Ref; http://voiceofthepublic.com/reports/RPT_00121.HTM

You'd think that if they wanted to change their image, they'd try to produce a decent product.

UbuntuStudio...community supported multi-media development optimization.

-
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mikey, I got the same error when installing as you did in the first screen shot.

I'm running Windows 7, as an administrator with UAC disabled - which in theory should provide a good environment to install it on.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I mentioned in the reply before, for the moment you'd want to go to "Skins" on their web page and get the Spywarecops version. Last definitions are from November 24th but I think the follow-up update is what is creating the problem with the download, which I did have on my system.

If it makes a difference, though, I was given a free version of their Security Console to try and downloaded the Spyware Remover through there instead of using the Downloads page for the BPS Spyware Remover.

The SpywareCops version does have 11/24 definitions. Only problem is that the EULA on it is still the old one, whereas you will notice when trying to get the regular BPS version, they do have a new 2010 EULA.

Now understand my original reply did say baby steps, which may mean a hiccup or two along the way. Up until just recently, nobody had done a whole lot with the products over the past few years, so these changes are very recent.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsummers wrote:
but I think the follow-up update is what is creating the problem with the download, which I did have on my system.

As in, the POST 11/24 update is what may be causing an issue with the original BPS remover from the front page.

But again when it had the 11/24 definitions, there wasn't a problem.

As of now, the Spywarecops skin still uses those 11/24 updates.
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I got the same error when installing as you did in the first screen shot.

I could have reged that ocx manually but I don't feel like beta testing for the same folks who have historically proven themselves as scam artists.

Besides, wasn't this supposed to be a full release version?

-
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mikey"]
Quote:
I could have reged that ocx manually but I don't feel like beta testing for the same folks who have historically proven themselves as scam artists.

Agreed - why waste time trying to get badly written software to work.

It seems that BulletProofSoft no longer publish an FTP client. They used to have their own FTP client. This was another case of shady business practices as there already was a well establish FTP client called BulletProof FTP - and they were hoping to fool people into confusing their FTP client with this software - just as in the pastfor example software companies have created antispyware software named similarly to Ad-Aware and SpyBot.
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it just feels a bit undone still. I guess I was just anticipating more. Not that I really care much but I wonder if he'll bring us word of a fixed version.

-
ericsummers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey wrote:
Yea, it just feels a bit undone still. I guess I was just anticipating more. Not that I really care much but I wonder if he'll bring us word of a fixed version.

Did you try using the SpywareCops version on the skins page, as mentioned in my earlier replies? Aside from not having the new EULA in place (you'll notice a 2010 one on the BPS version), it is otherwise identical in every way.

As far as it appearing unfinished, it is a good point. The info I had was that instead of rebuilding a new scanner from the ground up, the company is repairing and redesigning the scanner they had in place.

I believe their web site has a Process Library for items they are now scanning as safe and unsafe.

Because of things still being in the works, it is part of the reason why this is being quietly announced in a forum setting instead of coming out with something more official and substantial.

They know they face one hell of an uphill climb and right now, the goal is to get the scanner good (and legitimate enough) to eventually come off of the database of scanners such as Spybot, Malwarebytes, etc. but over the long term, they hope to eventually become a more preferred choice that competes with reputable companies by using their own reputable products and business models.

Not being employed by them, all I've really been "given" is that it finally occured to some of the suits that they should have been doing things the right way all along because they'd be in a much better position and not forced to start over from scratch.

There were and are no plans to change the company name, since you take the good with the bad and changing the name would just muddy the situation further by having users accuse them of trying to cut and run by hiding under a new name.
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsummers wrote:
Did you try using the SpywareCops version on the skins page, as mentioned in my earlier replies? Aside from not having the new EULA in place (you'll notice a 2010 one on the BPS version), it is otherwise identical in every way.

Personally I could not be bothered to do so. If BulletProofSoft fix their main download I will try it again. But until then, I've got better things to do with my time...
ericsummers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Personally I could not be bothered to do so. If BulletProofSoft fix their main download I will try it again. But until then, I've got better things to do with my time...[/quote]

Understood. Frankly, you've already done more than I expected, since I was warned that I might get a far more negative response.

I don't know much about their past, outside of what is written on this page, but there have been a lot of new people brought in to help turn their business around including an old friend of mine. Even if the company isn't considered reputable, he is. I wouldn't have put up a thread otherwise.

mikey wrote:

Ditto. I'll also add these things take time. But when the main download is straightened out, I'll drop in again to have someone retry it for the purpose of scan results and the like.

Like I said to Roger, you've already done more than I was expecting since I had serious doubts as to whether anyone would even try the download because BPS was really unpopular around here, in particular.
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, we used to think about how nice it would be if folks would just see the light and change their proverbial stripes. Real world experience has taught us that when the ethical core is missing from an outfit, it's not easily replaced.

Usually, when the community targets an entity for bad behavior, they just change their name and try their scams again under a new guise.

There have been very few who actually succeeded in turning around. I'm encouraged by the fact that BPS hasn't gone underground.

I'll be looking fwd to testing out their product once they've had a chance to fine tune it.

-
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW has anyone been looking at the company (BPS) recently? All the stuff I have archived seems to be from the last ice age.

-
ericsummers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past few months? They've introduced a number of new PC tools. Some are free like the registry cleaner and Spyware Remover. Others are sold on the bulletproofsoft.com page. The EULA has been rewritten. Simply put, the company was doing less than a grand a month in online sales and they knew something had to change. Especially with quite a few dead-weight types still receiving checks from the corporation. So there is a turnaround plan in place. BPS has also mulled over getting a PR person to "beg" some of the bigwigs with today's popular malware scanners to finally remove them from the database. It's going to be a long haul, but they are going to work at it.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, as you can see below, BulletProofSoft is slowly beginning their comeback campaign.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/bulletproofsoft/3260-20_4-10119745.html?tag=mncol

These two newer products by the company were posted to Download.com just mere weeks ago. Next will be the return of the new and improved spyware remover through reputable sites like www.download.com and they also plan to eventually make it onto www.majorgeeks.com and www.filehippo.com

To them, it is only a matter of time though they know they have a lot of work to do to regain the trust of users in general.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you may see a newly revised Bulletproofsoft/BPS web site with FREE versions of new products, products that are newly updated.

Bulletproofsoft is BACK.

Come see, review and offer feedback.

www.bulletproofsoft.com

The company is now committed to doing things the right way, no more rogue software. No more cheap tactics. No more games. This time, it is all about competing with MBAM, SAS, Iobit and everyone else.
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to download the Spyware/Adware Remover from the own product page, but download link is incorrect on the page and eneded up downloading "Youtube Video Grabber."

However after clicking on the download link on the homepage, I was able to download the correct program.

I received an error message during the install about being unable to register wshom.ocx I clicked ignore to allowed the install to complete. When the program ran, it needed to download it's definition files first, after which the program did not continue to load, but rather I had to go to start menu to run it again. After which I was told that the definition files were more than 2 weeks old and should be updated. Accordingly, I got the program to check for updates and it found none! The loaded definition files are from the 30th of March, making them nearly a month old.

Bear in mine that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware updates their definitions several times a day, and other anti malware vendors publish updates probablby just as often.

I ran a quick scan on computer which is almost certainly spyware free - but there are a couple of programs on there which some software will class as rogues, and it found 95 infected registry items, and 347 infected files and folders. This would be a cause for concern if it weren't for that fact they were all or at least 99.9% false positives.

Among the results it listed a start menu entry for Ashampoo as "Attackware.Ashampoo" despite Ashampoo products being safe. But it did not list any of the files in my C:\Program Files\Ashampoo folder.

Amongst the many false positives there were a lot of "CooKies" found. I have no idea why they chose to use such capitalization.

eric, if you want my opinion, here it is. The program is complete garbage - there is simply no other way for me to describe it! Alongside the ridiculous amount of false positives it gives, which alone is more than enough reason to avoid this software, the user interface is really badly designed - and the small screen size of the app makes reviewing the scan results needlessly cumbersome.

Typically software like has been sold, and the false positives have been used to scare users into buying the software, when in reality their computers were not infected. So it is surprising that this is being given away.

Basically, this program is still a rogue, and the statement "The company is now committed to doing things the right way, no more rogue software. No more cheap tactics. No more games. This time, it is all about competing with MBAM, SAS, Iobit and everyone else." appears to just be idle talk!
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that thorough review roger_m.

Based on your findings, I would definitely NOT recommend the software.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, you're killing me here. I've already hit refresh about 300 times since early this afternoon.

What about the numerous other free products? Registry cleaner, security suite, etc. Spyware removal isn't the only thing on the site.

Come on, it was just a little speed bump.

*sigh*

I'll find out what the company says and I'll be back. This is rougher than they told me it would be Rolling Eyes
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to find a better company to shill for. Rolling Eyes
ericsummers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
My suggestion is to find a better company to shill for. Rolling Eyes

You got me.

This is the part in the script where I fall down like an oak tree in the woods, right? Crying or Very sad

or is this page 78 where me and my BPS cronies crawl back under the rock and lick our wounds until our next ill-advised reunion tour? Shocked
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for # 2.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzi wrote:
I vote for # 2.

MajorGeeks gave it to me with both barrels. Thanks for letting me down "gently."

I think I've collected enough blood money for now. A man can only take so many payoffs before realizing he is not doing the honorable thing. Next time I talk to my friend at BPS, I'm telling him I QUIT.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsummers wrote:
suzi wrote:
I vote for # 2.

MajorGeeks gave it to me with both barrels. Thanks for letting me down "gently."

I think I've collected enough blood money for now. A man can only take so many payoffs before realizing he is not doing the honorable thing. Next time I talk to my friend at BPS, I'm telling him I QUIT.

Thumb Up
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsummers wrote:
What about the numerous other free products? Registry cleaner, security suite, etc. Spyware removal isn't the only thing on the site.

I could find neither of those products on the website.
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following was posted @ MajorGeeks:

ericsummers wrote:
BulletProofSoft has cleaned up its act and is now a legitimate company who deserves inclusion, open-arms and a red carpet on internet download web sites. They have now produced numerous free products which anyone can test at NO cost and NO risk. Registry cleaners? Got em. Spyware removal? Got it! Firewall(s)? Got it!

Eric, can you please provide links form the registry cleaners and firewall(s) as they are surprisingly not listed on the BulletProofSoft website.

and, while you're at it would you care to explain to us if are employed by them? While you claim otherwise, this post @ MajorGeeks makes me suspicious:

ericsummers wrote:
I am worried that the stench from our old programmers and management might not lead in a fair evaluation using the traditional channels.

as you refer the programmers as "our programmers."

I was unable to reply to the posts at MajorGeeks as it seems they have removed my posting privileges there, which I can only presume was due to me posting in a thread there criticizing a company who they are an affiliate of. But that is something I probably shouldn't explain in this thread.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tools they asked me to get feedback for are the Clean N Optimize registry cleaner and one or two other things under the "System Tools" category of their front page and download page. There was also an internet speed booster under "Internet" which they were looking for.

I don't work for them but I am friends with one of their people, or at least I was in school. The web site you will notice has a new layout compared to what they had in 2010, so I assume they are still tinkering with the design though I was informed products are fully done.

As for Major Geeks, I'm not exactly an expert at "shilling" for a company I don't exactly work for. I was given talking points, assurance(s) the products are quality and sent on my merry old way.

Looking at the numerous categories on the left side of the web page, you will notice anywhere from 2-10 downloads in each category. They have a ton of products online.

But I am not sure how I feel about doing their dirty work for them after the lumps I've taken here, on Spybot's forum, on MalwareBytes's forum and on MajorGeeks. At this point, I'm afraid to roll into Sunbelt, AdAware and Iobiot, who were also on the list of places to reach out to.
ericsummers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger_m wrote:
I was unable to reply to the posts at MajorGeeks as it seems they have removed my posting privileges there, which I can only presume was due to me posting in a thread there criticizing a company who they are an affiliate of. But that is something I probably shouldn't explain in this thread.

A little off-topic.

My friend Dennis helped me register at and navigate some of these forums. He has nothing to do with BPS, he does IT support for a school district. I'm just less adept with computers.

Dennis read your post above and this is what he said:

"I bet that's Iobit."
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsummers wrote:

Dennis read your post above and this is what he said:

"I bet that's Iobit."

No, not IOBit.
bob30880
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsummers wrote:
The tools they asked me to get feedback for are the Clean N Optimize registry cleaner points, assurance(s) the products are quality and sent on my merry old way.

I'll jump in here. Registry cleaners are a joke. There is simply no need to use them and they can easily ruin a system.

Here's some good reads on why you don't want or need them:

An often posted and quoted article, Ed Bott's: http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

Older article quoting two MVPS's, but relevant still: http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/11/25/do-i-need-a-registry-cleaner/

AUMHA Forum Discussion: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

(Thanks to AS at malwarebytesforum for the links)
roger_m
Warrior Addict

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob30880 wrote:
Registry cleaners are a joke. There is simply no need to use them and they can easily ruin a system.

Very occasionally cleaning the registry can help fix problems and or speed up Windows. For example I recently fixed an XP laptop which mostly would just boot up with a blank desktop - and required starting the Task Manager and killing and then reloading Explore.exe to get it working, by cleaning the registry.

But you are right about them ruining a system - 99% of registry cleaners mistakenly identify some completely valid registry entries as being errors.

As for the offering from BulletProofSoft - I installed it but it requires a reboot before it will run. I might test one day when I restart my computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: