Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

How do I convert vhs to avi or dvd? And dvr to avi or dvd?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: How do I convert vhs to avi or dvd? And dvr to avi or dvd? Reply with quote

I have a lot of old VHS tapes and wanted to make DVDs of them. Also I wanted to get a dvr and transfer video from there. How do I do this? I really have no idea and have tried reading some information on the internet but it is confusing so I wanted to ask you guys.

I wanted to purchase a laptop for this, as my computer is downstairs and the TV is upstairs. What would be the best laptop for this? I read that I need something called a firewire on the laptop. Do the less expensive ones have the firewire? Or is it possible to use my comp downstairs for conversions?

What is the best dvr for doing conversions from? Can anyone recommend a website that will list dvrs so that I can tell what features they have and what conversions I can do?

Can anyone recommend a website that tells you how to do this stuff the easy way without a bunch of confusing technical terms? Basically a website that gives a foolproof method and makes easy recommendations with a few equipment and software?

I am really leery of purchasing this stuff online as if I need to return it I don't want to get scammed. I have a limited budget and can't afford to get ripped off. If I have to purchase anything online can anyone recommend a reputable website to do business with? I am wary of amazon since they don't protect buyers like ebay does.

NOTE; Please try to break things down as much as possible. I AM NOT TECHNICAL and will not be able to understand you. Just a heads up.
Wild Chaser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to transfer VHS to a digital format you have 2 choices, there are stand alone units that will copy your VHS tapes to a DVD, or a unit like the movie box that connects your VCR to your computer via a USB or Firewire port and uses the bundled software package to convert it to a digital video file.
random/random
Expert Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently transferred a number of VHS tapes to DVD. I used a Toshiba VHS/DVD/DVR unit to do it. I think it was this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-RDXV48-160Gb-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B00138FAEE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284506319&sr=8-3 If you're not in the UK, you will most likely need a unit produced for your own country. (UK televisions and video recorders have used the PAL format, whereas American televisions and video recorders use the NTSC format)

All you had to do was put the tape in, make sure it was rewound, put in a blank DVD, and press the VHS > DVD button on the front of the unit. When the DVD ran out of space, it would stop, and then you can put another DVD in and repeat. (In short play (best quality) a DVD can hold 2 hours of video. In long play it can hold 4 hours. VHS tapes (depending on the tape) can hold up to four hours, or eight hours if you use long play)

It also has the option to copy recorded programmes to a DVD in a similar fashion.

I've found amazon to be very easy to deal with, but I usually try to avoid the marketplace sellers and deal with amazon themselves. In the UK, by law, all purchases of single items over 100 on a credit card have to be protected, so you can claim off the credit card company if necessary. Visa extend a version of this to purchases under 100 and purchases on debit cards. I don't know if wherever you're living has any similar rules.

If you'd rather use a computer, then this is something that I have little experience with, however I'd suggest a desktop rather than a laptop, because ideally you'll want a PCI or PCI express video capture card, and laptops don't usually have these interfaces (I believe you can obtain video capture devices that plug into firewire or USB 2.0, but USB 2.0 and firewire have much less bandwidth, so you may sacrifice some quality). You then feed a signal from a VHS player into the video capture card. You can also turn it into a DVR by adding a TV tuner card. These cards should come with at least basic software, but you may want to purchase something more advanced. Alternatively, for video capture, VirtualDub is free. You may also be able to find a card that is both a TV tuner and a video capture card. I'd also point out that desktop computers cost less for the same amount of processing power and storage, and if this is all you'll be doing with the computer, you can use your television as a a screen. Or, alternatively you can purchase a video capture card for the PC you have downstairs and move your VHS player.
leader2
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your answers. I have also heard of a program called EASY VHS TO DVD by roxio. I was told that you connect it from the vcr to computer via cables and that it transfers the footage to a dvd. I was also told that you don't need a tv connected to the vcr during the process. Is this really true, because I doubted it would work without the tv. Please give me an answer on that one because I really want to know if it is true.

Also has anyone used similar software to this and if so how did it work? Please make recommendations and give easy to follow instructions.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> General Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: