Spyware Warrior Spyware Warrior
Help with Spyware, Hijacking & Other Internet Nuisances

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Security software list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saidyene

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Security software list Reply with quote

I'm looking for a list of current security software and possibly a review for each. My Norton is almost up for renewal and I'm thinking of going with a free anti-virus. I will also be losing my Firewall with Norton. Being I'm changing those two I want to review all my security settings.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To saidyene,

My first comment is that I am going to assume you HAD a Norton security suite. With a security suite being somewhat defined as a payware set of security programs from a single vendor designed to cover the gamut of all malware threats. Personally, from my point a view, I am not a fan of any security suites, simply because you become too predictable to malware writers. But for the best of a bad lot of security suites, the best choice is probably the Kaspersky security suite. And if you opt to get rid of your Norton, do not fail to download and use the Norton removal tool because simply using add remove programs will not remove all of Norton.

But as soon as you talk about a freeware AV, you are out of the security suite concept, and then you have to worry about mixing and matching a number of other security programs to plug all the other holes in what amounts to a multilayered defense because firewalls and anti-viruses are only two out of many layers of defense I believe every computer should have. Or you could go with something like a sandboxed virtual computer, to insulate your actual computer from malware.

In short, there are many good and quite a few bad choices to fill all layers with, I do not think any two posters on this forum use an identical set of programs, and as some on this forum have pointed out, computer security is a way of life and not just a set of computer programs. As for me, I have been refining my set of security programs for some years now, I could list what I use, and may later in this thread, but the best way to get up to speed on security issues is to read the back post on this and other computer security forums. But I have been trying, in the past few years to put most of my eggs in the prevent malware from ever installing in the first place basket. And since new malware is being written everyday, computer security is always a moving target, so I check this forum nearly everyday for breaking news.

But I have written enough already for now, lets see what others say.
saidyene

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now moved away from the payed security suite. I now have zone alarm for my firewall and avast for my anti virus. I also downloaded the mvps HOSTS file and added adblocker plus to Firefox. I have a router firewall also. Any other holes you see that I should plug? I though for years that a good anti virus with updated definitions was all i needed but I'm finding out I do need more.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To saidyene,

Avast is a fine choice, so is the host files, I am not super high on zone alarm as a software firewall, but it should do the job for you.

I would recommend the addition of a process control program or two, malwarebytes is a excellent after the fact malware scanner, and I am very bullish on spywareblaster as a very good zero footprint prevention program. I also use spybot S&D with teatimer for extra process control.

Then adding the secunia on line scanner or the standalone secunia program will alert you to expired programs with security holes, and the use of a limit account while doing most websurfing would make your computer very difficult to penetrate. But if you engage in much music downloading from dubious websites, you may need more.

But IMHO, you are off to a good start. But still, other on this forum may have better suggestions.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing I forgot to mention is the fact that your computer hardware, OS and memory somewhat delimit the security system you can run. What is fairly decent on a powerful computer may slow a less powerful computer to a crawl.
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing I will post on this thread is my total disappointment with this forum.

I am certainly reject and will not say I am the sharpest knife in the drawer on this forum, but when our OP, saidyene comes to this forum
asking for advice, its almost a certainty that one lone responder cannot possibly cover all areas of all points of view regarding computer security.

So bump bump bump, lets get others smarter than me with other viewpoints posting.
suzi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osage,

This forum does not have the participation that it used to - obviously. The most happening thing here is the HijackThis forum. Many of the forum leaders have moved on to other things in their lives. I'm sorry that disappoints you. There may be other forums that would be more helpful to the OP. Here's a few to check out.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security

http://forums.techguy.org/79-security-malware-removal/

http://www.spywarehammer.com/

http://aumha.net/
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Osage, looks like you were helping out just fine.

The only thing I would ask is; What sys is being used? Many sec products still don't play nice with Vista and 7...especially 64bit.

It's been a long time since I recommended ZoneAlarm. I personally prefer a firewall solution that truely incorporates global process management(HIPS).
Osage
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for weighing in Mikey, but I am personally curious about your comment about a firewall as you say, "I personally prefer a firewall solution that truely incorporates global process management(HIPS)."

Which im my mind somewhat steers the firewall choice to modern Firewalls like online armor or Comodo3 that add HIPS and process control functions to the more tradition role of just a firewall. ( For what its worth, I still use an older version of comodo3 before Comodo went off on their jag of incorporating too much under the role of a firewall. Areas like virus protection I do not believe comodo is competent to undertake yet. )

But I somewhat getting away from the question I wanted to ask you Mikey, namely, in your personal opinion, is an independent set of HIPS files plus a traditional firewall as good as having a firewall that has the HIPS files self contained as it also acts like a traditional firewall? Or to put it another way, is there a synergistic effect where the sum of the benefits is greater than the sum of its parts?
mikey
Malware Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Areas like virus protection I do not believe comodo is competent to undertake yet.

I would have to agree, at least to a point. I've been playing with the latest Comodo offering. I had to turn the signature scanner off. You know, I keep a lot of admin tools(false positives) and residents are just a waste of time for me anyway. I do, however, like the way it handles my diverse networking cfgs.

OnlineArmor is one of the ones that doesn't play nice with 64bit sys.
=============

I think that the answer to your querry depends on the products in question. Tho, having leaner toolsets can often be the advantage. I didn't mean to imply that a 'firewall solution' need be restricted to a 'suite' of products.

I'm really not the person to ask tho. As you know,I personally don't have any use for anti-malware scanning. What you might not be aware of is that I've also long been away from the conventional end point packet filter too. Now it's just NAT, Snort, and some creative networking. Smile

I will say, tho, that I think the common user can find relative peace of mind with just some simple adjustments to their mindset. You remember my little slogan; "If it can't initiate, it can't infect."
Gary R

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suzi said earlier a lot of the more experienced computer users here are mostly involved with dealing with the people seeking for help in the HJT forum.

I'll be honest, I don't really look much further than that these days, there's more than enough there to keep me busy.

As it happens saidyene was someone I helped out with their problem ...... http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=32753&highlight= ......., and when I finish I always give a brief rundown on a basic security setup ....... http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?p=212961#212961

It's a bit generic, time doesn't usually allow me to go into any great detail, but I'm always happy to discuss things in topic with the person I'm helping if they ask.

If you've been helped, please donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site .... Spyware Warrior Donations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spyware Warrior Forum Index -> Anti-Spyware and Security Software Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: